In a first for the Cape, a pre-Ramadaan Expo is to be staged on a global platform. Ramadaan which is the spiritual month of fasting for Muslims the world over is especially uniquely observed in Cape Town.
And in preparation for the month, the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo is positioned to set the scene for the pending month by bridging cultural divides and telling the history of Islam in the Southern Hemisphere in a way never seen before.
Conceptualised in 2010, the Expo has become the biggest of its kind in Cape Town. New dimensions have been added this year to bring variety while preserving the Cape Muslim culture and identity.
The only way to best experience this is to observe and enjoy the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo on the weekend of the 4–6 May 2018 at Cape Town’s premiere event, the CTICC 2.
The City of Cape Town is one of our strategic partner as it recognises the role of the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo in “creating an enabling environment to attract investment that generates economic growth and job creation”.
More than one hundred exhibitors will be on display showcasing Ramadaan related food, fresh produce, exclusive clothing, cosmetics, homeware and jewellery. An interactive cooking theatre will demonstrate the flavours of Cape Town while a historic display of Islamic art & calligraphy will be on show.
Arts and Culture MEC, Anroux Marais, says the “Expo assists the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport in its objective to conserve, develop and promote the diverse traditional cultural landscape of the Western Cape”. Marais added that the Radio 786 Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo promises to allow those with differing cultural backgrounds to engage with the various Cape Muslim traditions which inevitably fosters social inclusivity and accelerates understanding which ultimately unites us all better together”.
The Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo allows for the entire community of Cape Town to understand the concept of Halaal, experience the language, food, dress, culture, traditions and lifestyle of the Cape Muslim.
Rushni Allie, Exco member of the Cape Town Ramadaan Expo, says: “Cape Town is a melting pot of diverse cultures and traditions. We believe the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo presents a unique opportunity for the bringing together of different denominations and cultures. It is a community event staged on an international platform hence the CTICC is the Expos preferred venue of choice”. She also announced Kuisine Spice as a Top Tier Sponsor.
The Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo can be likened to a vibrant majestic tapestry with a multitude of colours and contrasting textures that intertwine and encapsulate the personality of Cape Town!
The Red Cross Children’s Hospital is a beneficiary of the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo.
History of the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo
From modest beginnings at the Cape Town Market in Epping to a Civic hall in Athlone, the PPC Newlands cricket stadium, and the Castle of Good Hope, the Radio 786 Ramadaan Expo has grown into one of the biggest events of its kind.
When Radio 786 founded the Ramadaan Expo, the aim was and will always be with the community in mind. This platform affords the community to come to one venue and purchase everything for Ramadaan and Eid. This year it has gone one step further by increasing the range of exhibitors, attractions, specials and amazing big prizes for each day of the Expo.
The Radio 786 Cape Town and Lifestyle Expo 2018 will peak the interest of the entire community of the Cape as it showcases smaller expos within this tapestry of exhibitors and panel discussions.
The Red Cross Children’s Hospital Trust is the beneficiary of the community fundraiser now in its 9th year.
Friday | Saturday | Sunday
- The beauty and spiritual significance of Ramadaan
- More than 100 exhibitors
- Aromatically flavoured ‒ interactive cooking theatre (children and adults)
- Uniquely captivating Islamic art & calligraphy display area
- Nikaah (marriage) ceremony
- Spectacular Islamic wedding expo
- Mindblowing - Arabic Afrikaans - Cape Muslim traditions & cultural lane
- Unbelievably big daily prizes (after 7pm every evening)
- Daily spot prizes, voucher, giveaways and hampers
- Once in a lifetime grand prize to Thailand
- Several melodious Quranic recitals
- Thought-provoking panel discussions
- Specific wellness activities
- Social welfare organizations
- Financial institutions
- Lots of samples to taste and smell
- 1000 free goodie bags per day
- Log onto www.radio786.co.za/ramadaanexpo
Spices, chilibites, Falooda, frozen savouries, homemade sauces and chutneys, frozen foods, kids clothing, ladies Islamic wear, cosmetics, perfume, Indian furniture, men’s clothing, men’s beauty products, wedding dresses & accessories, Islamic art & calligraphy, exclusive range of Kashka scarves, jewellery, house and homeware and Eid gifts.
Islamic art & calligraphy display
- Managed by Soni Art Studio
- This area will have an art gallery look and feel
- It will showcase a unique range of artworks on display which include: hand-painted artwork, digital artwork, wood artwork, stainless steel 3D artwork and art kits for both adults and kids
- Custom designed artworks available
- Perfect hand-painted corporate gifts and gift favour artwork for weddings, baby showers etc
Display of the Cape Muslim culture and traditions
- Explanation of the culture and traditions of the Cape that are often misunderstood
- The Boorhaanol Movement and Mizan Events will showcase the traditions of the Cape Muslim
- This display takes you ‘From the Cradle to the Grave’ and looks at all major events in the life of a Muslim and the traditions attached to it. These include:
- The ‘Doekmaal’ (name giving)
- ‘Rampiesny’ (cutting of orange and lemon leaves to make a beautiful aromatic potpourri)
- Moulood (Birthday of Prophet Muhammad PBUH)
- Sighting of the Moon
- Ramadaan (Fasting)
- Janaazah (Burial ceremony including the washing and clothing of the body)
- Added to this exhibition is the emphasis on Arabic Afrikaans. This involves the embrace of our history and shared heritage. It is the late Achmat Davids who documented that the first Afrikaans was spoken in the Bo-Kaap by our ancestor Tuan Guru, who is said to rest at Tanu Baru in the Bo-Kaap
Interactive cooking theatre
- A dedicated aspect of the expo which will showcase that the kitchen is the heart of the home.
- Several celebrity chefs will put their skills on display.
- These include iconic community chefs such as the famous aunty Florrie from Bonteheuwel.
- The Radio 786 Master Chef of the Year Competition
- The Hunt for Talent Chef and the Cook-offs
- This interactive cooking theatre at the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo is in collaboration with Shanaaz Parker of Fusion managing, in association with Gadija Gamieldien of Cook Halaal
- The Theatre will showcase ingredients from community suppliers
- Fantastic give-away prizes and freebies throughout the 3 days at the Cooking Theatre.
- On display will be mocktails, curries, pastas, sushi, cook-offs, coffees from around the world and a cupcake decorating feast.
Lifestyle panel discussions
- Nikaah vs wedding
- Afrikaans and our community
- Banting and healthy eating
- Healthy living – fitness and our community
- Rearing / understanding our children and families
- Ramadaan today and every day
- How to shop and save
Big Prizes up for grabs
Three Umrah / religious pilgrimage tickets to Saudi Arabia
- Courtesy of the Cape Town Ramadaan & Lifestyle Expo and Lamy SA
- One ticket awarded on each day of the Expo – 3 tickets in total
- These include airline tickets, accommodation in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina and visa fees
- Round-trip transport
Grand Prize courtesy of Taybah Travel
- The Grand Prize worth a smashing R50 000.00 includes a fully covered:
- Return Air tickets for 2 to the luxury Asian islands destination – Thailand!
- Complete round trip’s transfers including that to a neighbouring island’s tranquil beach villa by speed boat.
- 7 Nights of prestigious accommodation for the 2 travelers
- The accommodation being 4 nights in a 5* beach resort with the neighbouring Phi Phi island for the next 3 Nights in a secluded 5* island villa suite for an ultimately meltful experience.
- The dates for the grand prize package are: depart 6 August 2018, and return on 15 August 2018
- All accommodation is inclusive of full breakfast daily.
- Complimentary added extras include: free entrance to the Trick Eye town museum and free return transfers to secluded island accommodation by speedboat.