Acta Academica is an academic journal dedicated to scholarship in the humanities. The journal publishes scholarly articles that examine society, culture and politics past and present from a critical social theory perspective. The University of the Free State invites applications for the position of Managing Editor: Acta Academia.
CONTRACT: 3 years
DATE OF ASSUMPTION OF DUTIES: 1 February 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and take responsibility for the publication of the journal (Acta Academia).
- Receive and file new article submissions.
- Copy editing of articles for grammar, literals, errors and style.
- Rewriting and editing for sense and improved language use.
- Flagging of errors and queries that need the attention of the writer.
- Comments and suggestions on issues such as consistency, repetition and flow.
- Advise the editor on new article submissions.
- Keep database of article status.
- Manage the peer review process of articles.
- Maintain correspondence with authors.
- Keep in touch with contacts at the publisher.
- Relay final articles to the publishers and proof read the journal before publication.
- Update Journal website.
INHERENT (MINIMUM) REQUIREMENTS
- Relevant Magister degree in the Humanities.
- Fluent in English
- Good computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in a richly diverse working environment.
- Enrolled for a doctoral degree in the Humanities.
- Relevant working experience.
- Familiarity with contemporary debates in social theory.
- Experience in copy editing.
- Experience with database updating and management.
Please contact Marizanne Cloete at email@example.com for further information.