City Press and Tafelberg Publishers, an imprint of NB Publishers, are proud to announce their partnership in investing in nonfiction authors by means of an annual award. The award of R60 000 will be made on an annual basis to an author to fund the research for a nonfiction book on a subject of importance in the South African context.
“We are very excited about this new prize and proud to enter into the venture with City Press, one of South Africa’s foremost publications. It is a wonderful opportunity for nonfiction authors and the publications that will result from this competition are sure to stimulate debate and be of great interest to the reading public. We look forward to working with Ferial Haffajee and her team,” says Eloise Wessels, CEO of NB Publishers.
Ferial Haffajee, Editor-in-Chief of City Press, says: “In a world of the sound-bite, the 140 character tweet, in a country of quick pace and quicker politics, we are proud to support the slow word and the contemplative thought with our talented publishing partners.”
The criteria for the award are
· Relevance: Should add to our understanding of South African society, history and politics
· Independence: Should be unafraid to investigate uncomfortable or difficult issues
· Credibility: the quality of the research and information should be impeccable
· Readability: The book should be accessible with good quality writing
Applications by authors to include
· One page description of book on why the subject is significant in the South African context;
· Draft table of contents;
· At least one chapter;
· Author CV;
· The entry form can be downloaded from the Tafelberg website: www.tafelberg.com and submissions must be received by 1 July 2012.