James Whyle: Rules of thumb for prospective short story writers
I am no expert on the short story, but here are some general rules of thumb that make sense to me.
Rules of thumb
- Suggested reading:
- A Moveable Feast – Ernest Hemingway.
- Sir Vidia's Shadow – Paul Theroux.
- Writers’ biographies are often good reading and will give you an idea of what you are up against. I believe Ian Fleming had written about seven bonds books before he felt financially secure.
- The short stories I've enjoyed most recently were J Annie Proulx's.
- Another writer who is good to look at for short stories is Tobias Wolff.
- And here is a short story I think really rocks: Bliss, by Patricia J DeLois.