Save the date: Saturday 24 February 2018!
This is the day on which an important Copyright Workshop for authors, artists, musicians, performers and the industries that invest in their work will be held in Pretoria.
Parliament is in the process of revising South Africa’s copyright legislation. Members of the creative industries have formed a body called the Copyright Alliance to respond to the Amendment Bill and are in the process of creating public awareness of pertinent topics. A specific focus is how the Bill will impact on authors, artists, musicians, performers and the industries that invest in their work.
The Parliamentary Committee plans to resume its deliberations on the Bill in March. The Copyright Alliance is arranging an event on 24 February 2018 in anticipation of these meetings. The event will be held at the Musaion Theatre, University of Pretoria, from 14:00 until approximately 18:00.
The format will be a keynote address, followed by four segments of 40 minutes each, with the opportunity for questions from the floor, and with performances in between. The four segments will focus on:
- the book publishing industry
- the music industry
- the film industry and
- the legal fraternity.
The Copyright Alliance comprises/is supported by the following associations and organisations:
- CAPASSO – Composers Authors and Publishers Association
- DALRO – Dramatic Artistic and Literary Rights Organisation
- MASA – Musicians Association of South Africa
- PASA – Publishers Association of South Africa
- RiSA – Recording Industry of South Africa
- SAMPRA – South African Music Performers Rights Association
- SAMRO – Southern African Music Rights Organisation
- MPA SA – Music Publishers’ Association of South Africa
- IBFC – Independent Black Filmmakers' Collective (IBFC)
- SAIIPL – The South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law
The Copyright Alliance intends to invite the following parties to the event of 24 February:
- the Minister of Trade and Industry, members of the Portfolio Committee and representatives from Government;
- prominent persons within the creative and performance art industries;
- members of the organisations represented by Copyright Alliance;
- organisations representing other creative industries, such as authors’ associations; and
- members of the Press.
An invitation will be circulated soon, but in the meantime, please save the date!